Here is what I feel is one of the best things you can do as a church staff person. Support your pastor! One of my mentors, Robert the Bruce, taught me this early on. He started to coach me and before he taught me about leadership, team meetings, budgets, etc…he taught me to honor and support my pastor. Here are some of the thoughts he shared with me:
- Don’t be another yes person. Your pastor does not need another one. Share your thoughts and ideas IN LOVE with them. They need other view points. If they want to sell apples and you feel oranges…say so. But, do not miss this. At the end of the day, they say it is apples, your job is to sell as many apples as you can. This honors your pastor.
- Pray for your pastor. Ask them specifically what they need/want prayer for. Commit to doing so. No pastor will tell you they won’t take prayer for anointing, vision, marriage, kids, etc.
- Think steps ahead of your pastor. Learn how they think and work and do your best to line up with that. Know what the expect and when. Learn the small things that can free them up. Here is an example. When I travel with my pastor, he never has to ask for anything. The travel details, itinerary, transportation, receipts, etc are always taken care of.
- Support your pastor privately and publicly. Have their back ALWAYS in the open. This will build unbreakable trust.
- Be the best extension of them that you can be! Champion the vision and culture. Learn how and when to respond in a way that they would. Your job is to be the face for them when and where they cannot be. Do NOT blow this.
This is not an all inclusive list but a few things I was taught early on. Hope it helps.